Whether you’re a leggings wearer in the winter or someone who opts to run in shorts all year round (no judgement here), finding a pair of shorts that are comfy and don’t ride up or down can be a challenge. As the weather heats up, no matter how short you choose to go, we’ve hand-picked the best men’s running shorts on the market to make your running more comfortable.
What to look for in a pair of men’s running shorts
- Leg length: Running shorts come in all different leg lengths – from the super short, to the longer, baggier variety. The style and length of the shorts is an entirely personal preference.
- Side splits: Unlike the shorts you might wear to the pub or to the gym, men’s running shorts will be designed to move with you as you pick up the pace. Some styles will have the traditional side split cut into the leg which offers a full range of movement, others will be a 2-in-1 design with a tighter short underneath and a baggier short over the top for extra coverage.
- Pockets: A good pair of running shorts will have pockets for your phone, keys, face mask and perhaps a gel or two, meaning you can leave that running belt at home.
- Sweat-wicking: It goes without saying, you’ll want the shorts to be able to wick sweat away from the body quickly, so you’re not left feeling overly damp mid-run.
- Half tights are another option if you’re looking for comfort at speed, but they come with a certain aesthetic that some runners won’t be after.
the best men’s running shorts on the market 2023
From the best men’s running shorts for under £20, to the running shorts to power you around the route on race day, we’ve rounded up some of the best running shorts on the market here.
A simple pair of running shorts, with a fitted under-layer to prevent any chafing on the move and a baggier outer layer for coverage as you run. There’s a drawcord waistband that allows you to customise the fit and zipped pockets for your essentials.
A very lightweight short that wicks away moisture well. Out testers found the shorts comfortable, but ideally suited for racing or fast running as it’s a pretty stripped down product. That being said, there’s also plenty of storage – two flap pockets at the rear and a central rear zip pocket, ideal for holding gels.
For those who prioritise aerodynamics, these body-hugging half-tights fit the brief. Made from soft, stretchy, woven fabric, the second skin security makes you feel like you’re suiting up in muscle-protecting running armour. There’s a built-in brief liner and seamless front for preventing chafing, a vented waistband and six pockets, including two side pockets with moisture barriers to keep your gear dry.
The best thing about these shorts, aside form being on sale, is how incredibly lightweight they are. The inner lining does the heavy lifting of keeping your bits and pieces in place and the featherlight outer layer is really there just to protect your modesty. There’s a pocket on the back big enough for a standard phone. UA also claims the mineral-infused fabric can help improve blood flow to your legs.
These Gymshark shorts will be comfortable on the run and in the gym. The 7-inch leg-length sits mid-thigh and the slim fit means they don’t look overly baggy. There are two leg pockets, but they aren’t zipped, so you’ll probably still need your running vest or run belt.
Post time: Apr-28-2023